Having a dash cam inside your car can benefit you in more ways than one. Read on to find out how.
A dash cam is exactly what it sounds like. A camera that sits on your car’s dashboard. Why is this so important? Well, there are several answers to this question. However, before I tell you what they are, you should understand that dash cams are incredibly harmless devices that do not interfere with your driving or visibility in any way. All they do is record the route in front of you (or in some cases behind you as well) to offer a chance to retrieve footage in case something important happens around your vehicle. If nothing substantial happens, you don’t even have to touch it as it will loop over your recorded files and keep offering you recordings.
How does an on-board camera work?
As we said, dash cams got their name from the fact that older machines sat on car dashboards and were large compared to today’s models. These days, however, devices are much smaller and can also be attached to your car’s windshield or rearview mirror. Take the DDPAI Mini for example. It is a compact dash cam that can be attached to the car windshield. It lights up as soon as you turn on your car. And it is powered by the 12V power outlet offered by most cars.
As for the recordings offered by the dash cams, they can be of different resolutions from which you can choose. They are stored on an SD card. Whenever something big happens, you can take that SD card home, grab the footage, and put it back. Otherwise, it will automatically overwrite the previous footage. These days dash cams offer a host of additional features like night vision, parking modes, Wi-Fi connections to access images, and more.
Why should you have a dash cam in your car
Here are some examples where having on-board camera footage can be important:
- Having first-hand evidence of an accident where those responsible are blaming you for the incident can be very helpful.
- If you spot someone driving dangerously, you can report it to the police and have the evidence to back it up.
- If someone is trying to defraud insurance by blaming you for something that didn’t happen, you can use the pictures to get you out of the situation.
- You can also sometimes come across a really funny incident that you can download from the internet and watch it go viral.
- Dashcams also contain microphones, so anything you say on your trip is also recorded. If you want to resume a conversation with your loved ones, you can do that as well.
These are the main reasons why you should buy a dash cam. But thanks to the various additional features that they tend to offer, who knows, a dash cam might benefit you in a whole different way. Buying one is easy; you can go to an auto accessories store or just buy an accessory online.
For the latest auto news and reviews, follow carandbike.com on Twitter, Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube channel.