Camera adventure

THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Recover well after an indoor “adventure” |

I know this is supposed to be an outdoor chronicle, but recently I had one hell of an “adventure” indoors. The good news is that I came home from the hospital and am recovering well.

It all started three weeks ago when a tickle in my throat turned into a very severe sore throat and blocked nasal passages, with stomach pain and very watery eyes. It lasted a week and I started to lose energy and ambition. I kept pushing myself like I always do, but by the second week things hadn’t improved. Then I basically slept for two days, hoping to strengthen my body, and that didn’t seem to work. Watery eyes and sore throat lessened but fatigue worsened. I didn’t even use my camera, which I normally do every day. Then I noticed a blur in my vision and a lack of balance, and found that I wasn’t really thinking at times. My son had recently told me about someone he knew with similar symptoms and it was discovered that his blood sugar was very high.

I’m diabetic and honestly, I don’t pay attention to what I eat. The other bad habit I’ve developed is not always checking my blood sugar every day. So that day I decided to check it out and it was not good: 366. I called my doctor, explained the situation to him and was able to get an appointment right away. After examining me, he determined that an extreme sinus infection had spiked my blood sugar – and that I needed to focus on controlling it. He sent me home with good advice and an increase in one of my medications.

The next day I felt no better and had to force myself to go out and fill the hummingbird feeders around my house. It became a major task because I was super exhausted. Going back to what my son told me, I checked my blood sugar when I was done with chores and it was now 488.

Another call to the doctor brought me back quickly and I was told to go to the ER for further tests. Oh no! I hate hospitals and their lack of fresh air! The office staff asked about the person who brought me. “She’s either in the lobby or in her vehicle in the parking lot,” I said. My big mistake that day was leaving my cell phone at home; that meant I couldn’t call him. The staff said they couldn’t find her, after looking twice, and told me they were going to send me to the hospital in an ambulance. I said no. They said, “Oh, she’ll find you eventually.” It wasn’t my problem – I was worried that something had happened to her, maybe a heart attack in her vehicle or that she got tangled up with one of the many screwed up people that seem to be everywhere these days .

I was now starting to worry about her, so I asked for a wheelchair and to be driven to the lobby and parking lot so I could pick her up myself. They said they couldn’t do that, so the former army engineer OCS shouted – “Drive the candidate!” – came to mind and I grabbed my cane and went looking for her with a nurse behind, trying to stop. My sense of direction was skewed and therefore my ‘flight path’ was skewed, but eventually I found my turn. (I’m good in the woods but big buildings confuse me).

Eventually I got to the back exit door where my friend had dropped me off. She wasn’t there, so I drove to the front parking lot, still with the nurse in tow. I was amazed at how cool the air was after being in the doctor’s office for over an hour! It gave me strength and I completed the long walk to the front parking lot, but – no Maryanne. Now I was really worried. I sat on a bench outside to think, and the nurse came into the main hall.

It wasn’t long before I looked up and Maryanne came out of the hallway. It really cheered me up and we went to the emergency room. I found out she was sitting in the hall the whole time worrying about me. Whoever said they searched and couldn’t find her was really screwed!

So, in the emergency room of the Batavia hospital, they did tests, checks, etc. My nurse through it all was Richard Dunn and boy, he was a great nurse who did a really great job; he had a good working knowledge of my problem, what i was going through and what i needed to do.

Eventually a room in the hospital opened up and Richard got me there as soon as possible. After a four day stay, I was released in a very weak state but they put me on the road to recovery with a better understanding of my problem. The hospital and all the nurses who treated me were exceptional. I am recovering well now and have become more serious about my condition. So, no outdoor story today, but maybe you can find some useful tips in my first “indoor” story – like, always have your cell phone with you and listen to your doctor!

Outdoor enthusiast and nature photographer Doug Domedion resides in Medina. Contact him at 585-798-4022 or [email protected]