An MP almost died of an overdose of fentanyl immediately after being exposed to it while on duty, California officials said.
David Faiivae, a San Diego County Sheriff’s Deputy, found a white powdery substance while on patrol on July 3, according to an Instagram post from the Sheriff’s Department. A field test found the substance to be positive for fentanyl, body camera video showed.
“This stuff is no joke, man,” Cpl. Scott Crane, Faiivae Field Training Manager, can be heard. “It’s super dangerous.”
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is between 80 and 100 times more potent than morphine, according to the United States Drug Enforcement Administration.
The body camera images were released as part of a public security video on the department’s Instagram. In an interview, Crane said that Faiivae got too close and moments later he collapsed.
“I just remember not feeling well and then I [fell] back and I don’t remember anything after that, ”Faiivae said. “It was in an instant, it’s like my lungs just locked up and I couldn’t breathe.”
Crane immediately recognized that Faiivae was overdosing and took Narcan, a prescription nasal spray which is “used for the treatment of a known disease or suspected opioid overdoseNarcan’s website said.
While Crane looked after Faiivae, the deputy can be heard saying, “I’m sorry.”
“There’s nothing to be sorry about, I got you, okay?” I’m not going to let you die, ”Crane said.
Crane said in the public safety video that Faiivae “would have died in this parking lot if he was alone”.
“I don’t think people realize how deadly it really is,” Faiivae said.